By Katherine Ryan

5 skills graduates need to kick-start their career

05 Nov 2017

But as Australia’s industries and labour markets evolve and change so too does employment opportunity, demand and skills needed.

Today’s graduates face more challenges than their parents ever did when finding work. In such a tumultuous time, how do graduates improve their chances of being employed and kick-start their career?

Australia’s labour markets and industries are changing, and rapidly. This is due to a number of factors including; technological advancements, global economic needs, business needs, industry needs and skill demands.

According to the 2016 Graduate Outcome Survey,

70% of undergraduates were in full-time employment four months after completing their degree.¹ That leaves 30% still looking for work months after graduating.

Looking at the facts closer, undergraduates with more generalist degrees took longer to gain a foothold in the labour market immediately after graduation. Study areas with the lowest rates of full-time employment in 2016 were; creative arts, agriculture and environmental studies, communications, psychology, science and mathematics, humanities, culture and social science. All these areas had full-time employment rates of less than 62%.¹

What skills are needed in Australia’s ever-changing industries and labour markets and how can graduates prepare themselves?

From our research, we’ve found graduates should equip themselves with these 5 skills to kick-start their career:

  1. Digital literacy - Digital literacy encompasses a range of skills that involve; computer skills, understanding how technology is used to communicate, gather and transact information, and how to configure and build digital systems.
  2. Interpersonal and emotional intelligence - Interpersonal and emotional intelligence is essentially the ability to develop meaningful relationships with others and the ability to interpret and respond to social and emotional cues and circumstances.
  3. Creative problem solving - Creative problem solving is a proven method for approaching a problem or challenge in an imaginative and innovative way.
  4. Time management - Organising and managing priorities to timeframes is a skill needed in almost all industries and it’s essentially the ability to complete work on time.
  5. Effective communication and negotiation - The ability to deliver information clearly and concisely coupled with the ability to discuss and negotiate positive outcomes are valuable and sought-after skills.

How can graduates prepare themselves with the necessary skills?

CIT Solutions offers professional workshops in many of the subject areas above. Our one to two-day workshops will equip graduates with the essential skills needed in and out of the office. Browse our subject areas today Communications & Engagement, Computer Skills and Self Development.

¹QILT 2016 Graduate Outcome Survey

Latest News