About this course
This hands-on course offers an introduction to essential welding processes in an industry standard workshop. Over 4 weeks you’ll gain practical skills for working with MIG, ARC and TIG welding processes, learning the advantages, disadvantages and different applications of each process and how to apply them to work in a diverse range of metals.
Materials Required: The following equipment is required for all classes and must be in full working order to satisfy WH&S requirements: Any student that has incorrect personal protective equipment will not be permitted to participate in any practical classes.
- Welding Helmet preferably auto-darkening 9-13 shade, if you choose a flip front it is suggested that you purchase a No 10 shade lens as well. If you buy a solar auto darkening welding helmet activate the solar cells prior to the first class by exposing the helmet to direct sunlight for about an hour.
- Welding gauntlets – Gloves (Pig skin type gloves which are easier to wear when TIG welding
- Clear safety glasses (AS rated)
- 1pair of MIG or combination pliers
- Hearing protection
- Long sleeved overalls or cotton drill type clothing. No shorts and NO POLYESTER CLOTHING as this material is highly flammable. Bright colours or reflective strips on Hi Viz gear can cause flashing and “sunburn” so choose your clothes carefully
- Leather type shoes - work boots (no runners)
This equipment can be purchased SEARS Work Wear or BOC. Both can be found in Barrier Street Fyshwick.