About this course
This workshop is specifically designed for those who have or are considering the purchase of a Flow Hive but have little or no experience in beekeeping. It includes both theory and practical (hands on) components working with bees and beehives.
Materials Required: Please wear:
- long pants, jeans or trousers and a long-sleeved shirt with collar
- enclosed shoes and socks
Clothes must be non-woolly & light coloured as bees react badly to dark, textured clothing.
All beekeeping tools & protective clothing will be supplied.
Comprehensive directions and a map will be emailed to participants before the first class.
Additional Information: Practical sessions will cover topics including:
- assembling your hive
- installing bees into your hive, lighting a smoker and hive inspections
- honeybee pest & disease control, swarm prevention and recovery, harvesting honey & bees wax
- keeping bees responsibly; the ACT & NSW Apiary Code of Practice & hive registration
- the Flow Hive, how to use it and how to get your bees to use it effectively