The Progressive Managers Program will build skills to address the leadership challenges of today and tomorrow, while providing opportunities to recognise staff’s existing skills and experience. Co-designed with leading government agencies, this Diploma of Government program covers topics that are relevant to the modern workplace and tailored to developing the skills of high-performing government employees. Learners will explore design thinking, data and decision making, and managing teams for high performance, all in the specialised context of the Australian Public Service.
Foundations of Government:
- Share your experiences and knowledge on working for your organization, public administration and working in government
- Explore ideas related to legislation, ethics, values, WHS and diversity
- Outline how the learning content is applied in your workplace
Communication and Project Initiation:
- Facilitate commitment to an organisation’s vision and encourage leadership behaviours in times of change
- Delegate or assign work appropriately
- Outline effective leadership approaches for different situations
- Apply a range of techniques to give and receive performance feedback and support team members to access
- development activities
- Identify and understand team dynamics
- Explain how to prepare for different types of communications and respond to different opinions
- Negotiate and communicate persuasively
- Use information and language (both written and verbal) in a way that is appropriate for your audience.
- Understand and apply project management components to develop a project business case an initiate that project
Project Management, Handover and Closure:
- Understanding the strategic framework for government and the governance framework for your agency
- Understand and integrate project management components
- Understand public sector resource constraints, and identify how to allocate and use within public sector guidelines
- Understand and develop strategies to mitigate project risk in the public sector
Who should take this course
You must be working (or contracted to work) in a public sector agency to enrol in this course. Assessment is contingent on access to specific work practices so you are able to demonstrate the particular competencies required.
- User choice funding available
- RPL available
- Delivered via blended learning
How is it delivered?
Blended (Face to Face & Online) and Recognition of Prior Learning
What participation is required?
The program commences with a welcome session followed by a 1 hour individual RPL/learning pathway (if applicable). This is followed by twelve (12) full-day group sessions/workshops and three (3) learning and networking events. In addition to this, there are six (6) assessment support sessions.
What are the units of competency? View details
PSPLEG003: Promote compliance with Legislation in the public sector
PSPETH003: Promote the values and ethos of public service
PSPGEN047: Promote Diversity
BSBWHS301: Maintain workplace safety
PSPGEN053: Provide leadership
PSPGEN054: Use complex communication strategies
PSPMGT006: Develop a business case
BSBPMG522: Undertake Project work
PSPGEN045: Coordinate resource allocation and usage
PSPMGT007: Manage risk
BSBPMG521: Manage project integration
How is the course assessed? View details
Online and in class assessments:
- Questions and answers
- Research and development activities
- Scenario based activities
- Written reports
- Short in-class presentations
- Third party reports
Can this course be customised?
Yes. Contact our Learner Experience team to discuss what you need.View Course Overview