About this course
Standard Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) Course is a 12-hour course that teaches adults (18 years and over) how to provide initial support to those who are developing a mental illness, experiencing a worsening of a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. The first aid is given until appropriate professional help is received or the crisis is resolved.
Additional Information: Key Topics:
The key topics in this course are:
- Understand possible mental health indicators
- Understand the types of mental health issues
- Understand the causes of mental health issues
- Observe and respond to situations where persons may be experiencing or displaying mental health indicators
- Be able to talk, ask, listen and keep safe when responding to mental health issues
- Be able to refer the person to a specialist in assisting persons experiencing mental health challenges
At the completion of this course you should have the skills and knowledge to:
- Identify possible indicators of mental health challenges
- Describe the common types of mental health illnesses
- Develop an understanding of techniques that can be used to respond to mental health difficulties
- Identify ways to refer the person to a mental health specialist.