About this course
Through an enjoyable mix of theory and practical observation this course takes a comprehensive look at the universe and our place in it. You'll also learn about Planetarium software and telescopes then conclude with an outdoor session putting all you've learnt into practice under the night sky.
Materials Required: Weather permitting there will be a star gazing night on the last evening of the course. Details will be discussed on the first evening. On the evening don't forget to bring warm clothing, a chair, a torch and something to eat and drink.
Additional Information: Topics to be covered include:
Weeks 1 & 2: Discover Astronomy
- About the Constellations
- Using `Stellarium’ freeware Planetarium software
- About the Stars
- About the Moon and Planets
- About the Galaxies and Nebulae
Week 3: Advanced Astronomy
- Our Place in the Universe
- How do Stars change with time?
Weeks 4 & 5: Practical Astronomy
- Observing with the Naked Eye and Binoculars
- About Telescopes (types, mounts, eyepieces, finders, accessories and safety tips)
- Analysis of student’s “bring along” telescopes and tips for improvement
- Outdoor practical session (Week 5)